Thursday, December 29, 2016

2016 Year in Review, and looking forward to 2017

So the year is just about done.  And yesterday was my dad's 70th birthday!  WOWZER!  I cannot even believe it!  We had a fun night celebrating with him.

This year has been pretty fabulous, I must say!  A few highlights:

  • I joined Premier Designs and have sold jewelry for the past year.  I've become more fashionable, made friends, gained confidence, and had fun in the process!
  • One of my best friends, Christina, got married in May!  It was a beautiful ceremony and a wonderfully special day to celebrate.  What a wondrous occasion.
  • I made a crazy decision to do a triathlon....and SUCCEEDED!  That was probably the craziest thing I have ever done.  But I definitely do not regret it.  I challenged myself and am so proud that I completed it!
  • I took a trip with John to visit Ben, Kristen, and Ayla in Tacoma.  It was so wonderful to take some time off of work and visit my lovely family.  We got to spend time with the little nugget, and hike a mountain to boot!
  • I got to meet one of my idols, Katie Foster! (www.runsforcookies.com)  She is a blog writer and a huge motivation to me to be healthy.  We grabbed a drink on the east side of Michigan.  I loved it and she is great!
  • I bought a keyboard (thanks to John's inspirational trumpet playing!!!).  Unfortunately, I haven't played as much as I have hoped, but I will be addressing that with a 2017 goal!
  • I took and passed my social work licensing exam - WAHOO!  That means in April of 2017, I will be a fully licensed social worker, and instead of being Emily Carlson, LLMSW, I will be Emily Carlson, LMSW!  Hooray!
  • In December, John and I celebrated one year of being together!  Yay!  We spent our weekend in Pittsburgh at his friend's wedding.  Everything was extravagant and gorgeous - it was held at the Natural History Museum (we got to see dinosaur bones!).  And we got to get all gussied up which was super fun too.
All in all, the year was a success, I'd say.  I am definitely looking forward to 2017.  As for my 2016 goals, I accomplished some, but not all.  I did not read all of Anna Karenina.  I did take and pass my social work exam.  I did pay off my debt to the auto-mechanic (hooray!).  I did not get down to my goal weight (but I did lose about 20 pounds and I am OH-SO-CLOSE!).  I think I connected with family and friends 2x a month, but I did not keep a good record of that.  And I did read "The Celebration of Discipline."  So, not too shabby for 2016!



Now on to goals for 2017!  Here they are:
  • Physical - achieve my goal weight
  • Mental - take 3 months worth of piano lessons
  • Emotional - write my "shitty first draft" (of my story)
  • Social - write a note/month to friends or family
  • Financial - finish saving my $1000 emergency fund
  • Spiritual - read "Jesus Calling"
  • Relational - read "Love and Respect"
I am so looking forward to the new year!  I can just tell it's gonna be a good one.  The last year of my 20's!  Crazy!  And then in February, John and I are taking a trip to the WIZARDING WORLD OF HARRY POTTER!  I cannot even believe it!  Nor can I wait.  It's gonna be a blast.  John even got me an interactive wand for Christmas so that I can do spells.  Wahoo!

But thanks all.  Thanks for reading.  Hope you've had a great 2016, and I hope you have a fabulous 2017 as well.  Love to you all, my friends.

1 comments:

Katie (Runs for Cookies) said...

I am so happy to have met you!! I still can't believe I didn't know you had a blog until now. It will be fun to read some random posts ;)